- For the Union Dead
The aquarium is gone. Everywhere,
giant finned cars nose forward like fish;
a savage servility
slides by on grease.
- Robert Lowell
- As for what you're calling hard luck - well, we made New England out of it. That and codfish.
- Stephen Vincent Benet
- The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as if it were instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish squirting out ink.
- George Orwell
On the road to Mandalay,
Where the flyin'-fishes play,
An' the dawn comes up like thunder outer
China 'crost the Bay!
- Rudyard Kipling
- Under Milk Wood
Sleeping as quiet as death, side by wrinkled side, toothless, salt and brown, like two old kippers in a box.
- Dylan Thomas
- The Song of the Dead
We have strawed our best to the weed's unrest
To the shark and sheering gull.
If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
- Rudyard Kipling
- You must lose a fly to catch a trout.
- George Herbert
- Some circumstntial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.
- Henry David Thoreau
- Moby Dick
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale... from hell's heart I stab at thee.
- Herman Melville
- "The whale only gets harpooned when he spouts."
- Henry Lea Hillman
- If dolphins are so intelligent, how come they ain't got Walkmans?
- John Lydon
- The herring is a lucky fish
From all disease inured;
Should he be ill while caught at sea,
- Spike Milligan
- Enjoy thy stream, O harmless fish;
And when an angler for his dish,
Through gluttony's vile sin,
Attempts, the wretch, to pull thee Out,
God give thee strength, O gentle trout,
To pull the rascal in!
- John Wolcot
Fish Quotes Page 3
© 2001 - present. Australian Media Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved.