- "Just when you think you've won the rat race along come faster rats."
- "When rats leave a sinking ship, where exactly do they think they're going?"
- Douglas Gauck
- "Women do not like timid men. Cats do not like prudent rats."
- John Webb
- "Alcohol removes inhibitions-like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"
- Eleanor Early, News summaries 30 Jan 50
- "I am impelled, not to squeak like a grateful and apologetic mouse, but to roar like a lion out of pride in my profession."
- John Steinbeck
- "Mickey Mouse was the star in the early days, but he was too much of a Mr Nice Guy."
- Jack Hannah
- "If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember this whole thing was started by a mouse."
- Walt Disney
- "Anyone who has invented a better mousetrap, or the contemporary equivalent, can expect to be harassed by strangers demanding that you read their unpublished manuscripts or undergo the humiliation of public speaking, usually on remote Midwestern campuses."
- Barbara Ehrenreich
- "If a man can write a better book, preach a better sermon, or make a better mouse-trap than his neighbour, though he build his house in the woods, the world will make a beaten path to his door."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Rats greet you, they interact, they try to please. They are as close to a dog as you're going to get in a rodent."
- Elizabeth Fucci
- "The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat."
- Lily Tomlin
- To a Mouse
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley.
- Robert Burns
- The Pied Piper of Hamelin
They fought the dogs and killed the cats,
And bit the babies in the cradles,
And ate the cheeses out of the vats,
And licked the soup from the ccoks' own ladles,
Slit open the kegs of salted sprats,
Made nests inside men's Sunday hats,
And even spoiled the women's chats
By drowning their speaking
With shrieking and squeaking
In fifty different sharps and flats.
- Robert Browning
- You Can't Cheat an Honest Man
Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch.
- W C Fields
- Pop Goes the Weasel
Up and down the City Road,
In and out the Eagle,
That's the way the money goes -
Pop goes the weasel!
- W R Mandale
- A mouse that prayed for Allah's aid
Blasphemed when no such aid befell;
A cat who feasted on that Mouse
Thought Allah managed vastly well.
© 2001 - present. Australian Media Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved.