- "Method is more important than strength . . . By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passerby kill the snake for the beads."
- Siddha Nagarjuna
- When you see a snake you just kill it; don't appoint a committee on snakes.
- Chris Noble
- "When you see a snake, never mind where he came from."
- "Never wound a snake, kill it."
- Harriet Tubman
- "A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing."
- Jessamyn West
- "Propaganda is a soft weapon; hold it in your hands too long, and it will move about like a snake, and strike the other way."
- Jean Anouilh
- "Kill the snake of doubt in your soul, crush the worms of fear in your heart and mountains will move out of your way."
- Kate Seredy
- "[Americans] are the great Satan, the wounded snake."
- Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini
- "Hot weather brings out snakes and slaveholders, and I like one class of the venomous creatures as little as I do the other."
- Harriet Ann Jacobs
A snake came to my water-trough
On a hot, hot day, and I in pyjamas for the heat,
To drink there.
- D H Lawrence
- Eclogues no. 3
There's a snake hidden in the grass.
- The Spider and the Fly
"Will you walk into my parlour?" said a spider to a fly;
"'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy."
- Mary Howitt
- An Essay on Man
The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine!
Feels at each thread, and lives along the line.
- Alexander Pope
- "I identify most strongly with the turtle: I patiently plod along till I reach my destination--and occasionally I stick out my neck."
- Paulette Peltan
- "Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out."
- James Bryant Conant
- Autres Betes, Autres Moeurs
The turtle lives 'twixt plated decks
Which practically conceal its sex.
I think it clever of the turtle
In such a fix to be so fertile.
- Ogden Nash
© 2001 - present. Australian Media Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved.